What is a Land Use Bylaw?
A Land Use Bylaw (LUB) is a required document, as per Municipal Government Act (MGA), that sets out regulations for acceptable land uses within a municipality.
The purpose of the Town’s LUB is to:
- Organize the municipality into land use districts (ex. commercial, residential etc.)
- Determine suitable uses in a given District
- Establish a development permit and rezoning process
- Establish standards for the acceptable height, and size of buildings
- Outline development standards for parking, signage, landscaping etc.
Land Use Bylaw Update
The Town of Nanton is working with ISL Engineering and Land Services (ISL) to undertake a comprehensive review and update of the Town’s Land Use Bylaw.
Why is the LUB being updated?
The current LUB was adopted in 2013, and an update is needed to improve the clarity and usability of the document, consider new land development trends, align with current policy documents, and better reflect community needs to support the growth and development of the municipality.
You can learn about and review the current bylaw here: www.nanton.ca/158/Land-Use-Bylaw
The Town and consultant team will be updating the LUB by completing the following steps:
- Reviewing the content and structure of the current LUB
- Conducting best practices research to learn from other similar municipalities in Alberta
- Gathering community feedback on what should be considered in the new LUB update
- Developing a draft LUB and gathering additional community feedback on the draft LUB
- Refining the draft LUB based on community and stakeholder feedback
- Presenting the updated LUB to Council for consideration and adoption
The project began in January 2022 and is expected to be completed by early December 2023.
Now, we are inviting the public to participate in the first phase of engagement for the project. We want to know what you think we should consider when updating the current LUB.
You can learn more about the project and provide your feedback by:
- Joining the conversation at the upcoming Community Workshop.
- March 22, 2023, from 5 – 7 pm, at the Curling Club Lounge (2122 18 Street)
- To register, please contact: email@example.com or call 4036462029
- A hard copy of the survey can be foundhereor at the Town Office.
- Having your say by taking the Online Survey www.surveymonkey.ca/r/NantonLUB
- The online survey is currently open
- Hardcopies of the survey are available at Town Hall
- The deadline for survey submissions is March 31, 2023
For more information visit www.nanton.ca/158/Land-Use-Bylaw or contact Georgina Sharpe firstname.lastname@example.org
Feedback received from the community will be gathered and analyzed to help the consultant team to draft an updated LUB. An engagement summary report will be posted here after the community workshop is complete and the survey closes.
A draft LUB will be presented for public feedback in Summer, 2023. More information on when you can review the draft LUB and provide your feedback will be posted soon, so stay tuned!