When you work for Statistics Canada, you gain valuable work experience at one of the top statistical agencies in the world.
Most census jobs involve doing the fieldwork associated with data collection. Field positions include both supervisory and non-supervisory roles, but most census jobs are enumerator positions (non-supervisory).
- Enumerator (non-supervisory)
- Crew leader (supervisory)
The job start and end dates vary by position and location, but will be between March and July 2021.
Census jobs in the context of COVID-19
In the current context of COVID-19, Statistics Canada is committed to ensuring the safety of its employees at all times, including those working for the 2021 Census.
When a Statistics Canada census employee is sent in person to a dwelling for non-response follow-up, the employee will be required to wear personal safety equipment (provided by Statistics Canada) as well as maintain proper physical distancing, in accordance with guidelines from public health authorities.
Enumerators work part-time and schedules vary, with most of the work being in the evening and on weekends. They are paid $17.83 per hour, plus eligible expenses. In select Northern and remote communities, enumerators are paid $29.25 per hour.
As an enumerator, you will:
- collect questionnaires from households
- capture addresses and drop off letters inviting residents to complete their census questionnaire online
- follow up with respondents by calling or visiting people in your area to complete a census questionnaire
- ship completed questionnaires.
Crew leader (supervisory)
Crew leaders work full-time and schedules vary, with most of the work being in the evening and on weekends. They are paid $21.77 per hour, plus eligible expenses. In select Northern and remote communities, crew leaders are paid $31.25 per hour.
- As a crew leader, you will:
- train, lead and supervise a team of up to 18 enumerators
- monitor the progress and productivity of your team
- call or visit people in your area to work with them to complete a census questionnaire
- receive and ship questionnaires and other census documents.
Be part of the team that collects the data that will shape Canada's future!