Roles & ResponsibilitiesCouncil is the governing body of the municipal corporation of the Town of Nanton. Nanton’s Council consists of six Councillors and one Mayor, as elected. These positions are elected for a four-year term as set out in the Municipal Government Act.
The principle role Council is to create policy for the governance of the town and its residents. The forum for local government policy making is the Regular Council Meeting. The Council relies on input from many sources, including the public, various community organizations, citizen’s groups, advisory committees and staff. It is the Council’s responsibility to consider the merits of each idea before proceeding with its decision. In doing so, Council members analyze community needs, program alternatives, and available resources.
Agendas & MinutesAgendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Most Recent Agenda | View All Agendas and Minutes
Boards, Committees, and Commissions
Members of Council sit on several different boards, committees, and commissions as outlined below:
Ongoing Committee established by Town Council that shall continue in force until terminated by a Town Council Resolution
- Municipal Planning Commission
- Subdivision and Development Appeal Board
- Assessment Review Board
- General Governance Committee
- Services Committee
- Finance Committee
- Recreation and Culture Committee
- Economic & Community Development Committee
- Committee of the Whole of Council
Special Purpose Committee
A Committee, Board, or Commission which is established under the legislated powers of the Town but has its own Constitution or Bylaws
- Nanton Municipal Library Board
- Nanton Fire Department
Ad Hoc Committee
A short term Committee which is specific in purpose and has a clearly defined life span
A Committee that is created through agreement with one or more other bodies
- Nanton Health Centre Management Committee
- Alberta Southwest Regional Alliance
- Oldman River Regional Services Commission
- Chinook Arch Regional Library System
- Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework with Subcommittees.
A Committee not established by Town Council but to which Town Council members and/or citizens may be appointed by
- Foothills Regional Emergency Services Commission
- Foothills Regional Services Commission
- Highwood Management Plan Public Advisory Committee
- Nanton Quality of Life Foundation
- Kosy Korner Association Board
- Nanton & District Chamber of Commerce
- Nanton Lancaster Society Board
- Community Futures Highwood
- Mosquito Creek Foundation
- Nanton Golf Club
- Nanton & District Community Memorial Centre Society
- Community Groups & Organizations (offer council as 'points of contact' as liaison only)
The Town of Nanton Council receives requests for formal proclamations by groups and organizations who wish to raise awareness on an event, or provincial/national day or month. A declaration of proclamations is at the discretion of the Mayor, therefore proclamations should be requested for community improvement through education and awareness.
Please read the Proclamation Policy for more information.
Please fill out the Proclamation Form if interested.
Town of Nanton Supports
Council may choose to acknowledge support for a requested campaign without issuing a formal proclamation and/or resolution.
See below for recent Proclamations and Supportive links to outside agencies